Pittsburgh, often known for its vibrant city life and rich industrial history, also boasts an abundance of scenic parks that provide perfect settings for family bonding. From picnics by the water to nature hikes and outdoor adventures, these green spaces offer a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
In this blog post, we'll take you on a virtual tour of some of Pittsburgh's most family-friendly parks, each with its own unique charm.
1. Frick Park: Frick Park is a true gem nestled in the eastern part of Pittsburgh. It's the city's largest park, offering 644 acres of lush greenery. Families can explore miles of walking and hiking trails, discover the serene Frick Environmental Center, and let kids enjoy the fantastic Blue Slide Playground. It's a natural oasis where you can reconnect with nature right in the heart of the city.
2. Highland Park: Highland Park is known for its picturesque reservoir, beautiful gardens, and charming duck pond. It's an ideal place for a leisurely family stroll, a peaceful afternoon picnic, or a visit to the fantastic Highland Park Playground. During the summer, the park hosts the popular Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, an event the whole family can enjoy.
3. Schenley Park: Schenley Park, adjacent to the Carnegie Mellon and University of Pittsburgh campuses, offers a diverse range of activities for families. Picnic by the serene Lake Elizabeth, explore Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, or visit the adventurous Panther Hollow Trail. The Schenley Plaza and its carousel are also family favorites.
4. Emerald View Park: Located on Mount Washington, Emerald View Park provides breathtaking views of the city's skyline and its three rivers. Families can hike the Emerald View Trail, have a picnic at the scenic overlooks, and even participate in community events. It's a hidden gem that offers a unique perspective of Pittsburgh.
5. Riverview Park: Riverview Park, located on the city's North Side, is home to the iconic Allegheny Observatory and a stunning Chapel Shelter. Families can explore hiking trails, enjoy a round of disc golf, or simply relax in the peaceful surroundings. It's a great place to escape to for some quality family time.
6. North Park: While not within the city limits, North Park is just a short drive from downtown Pittsburgh. This expansive park offers a picturesque lake for fishing and boating, a vast playground, and miles of trails for hiking and biking. It's a perfect destination for a day trip with the family.
7. Point State Park: At the confluence of Pittsburgh's three rivers, you'll find Point State Park. While it's more known for its historical significance and the iconic fountain, it also provides a lovely riverside setting for picnics and relaxation. Kids can play in the open spaces while parents take in the stunning views.
These are just a few of the fantastic parks that Pittsburgh has to offer for family bonding and outdoor adventures.
Each park has its unique features, making them ideal for a wide range of activities.
So, pack a picnic, grab your hiking shoes, and head out to explore these green havens in the Steel City. It's the perfect recipe for quality family time and creating cherished memories.
Credits to the owners of the photos:
Furnished Home Rentals
Relocating to Pittsburgh
© COPYRIGHT 2015. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.