Pittsburgh has four distinct seasons and temperatures vary widely through them. The summers can be very hot and humid and the winters can be very cold and snowy. Each resident finds a favorite and strategically schedules their vacations and travel during their least favorite. One of the nicer aspects of these weather variations are the activities and attractions that come to life with them. The rivers bustle with leisure boating and kayaking in the warmer months. Skiing and ice skating are popular in the colder months.
- What to expect: Mild and rainy. Very green and flowery. Temperature can be turbulent at times.
- Popular Spring Activities: Biking, Jogging, Outdoor Walking and Shopping
- What to expect: hot and humid. Evening thunderstorms are not uncommon.
- Popular Summer Activities: Boating, Swimming, Kennywood Amusement Park, Sandcastle Water Park, Major League Baseball - Pirates
- What to expect: Mild and pleasant. Occasional 70 degree or higher days can be expected. The trees change colors and then shed leaves around November.
- Popular Spring Activities: Biking, Jogging, Outdoor Walking and Shopping, National Football League - Steelers
- What to expect: Cold with occasional snow. Snowfall in excess of 5" in a storm is uncommon.
- Popular Spring Activities: Skiing, Sled Riding, Ice Skating, National Hockey League - Penguins